JP On Gaming

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Gostor: Bandits!

Last week, I was reading the excellent Sea of Stars blog and he posted a mini-bandit gang post.

Suddenly I remembered that I started on a book about gangs myself but that I dropped the product as my need for it waned. The project I started it for didn't need it anymore, so I left the notes with charts and options in a document in my "Work In Progress" directory.

Reading the post, I remembered my own abandoned work and thought "Hey I should get this bandit book of mine finished!" Sean's own post had a concept which I did not have in my own book and thus I quickly added it.

For the last two days, I have been going over my stuff and completed some entries, cleaned up some of the text and added a few example gangs. The book now includes the Forty-Seven Ronin, Ali Baba's Forty Thieves, Bonnie and Clyde, Grace O'Malley's pirate empire, Robin Hood and his Merry Men, the Vendean rebels of Revolutionary France, and a Viking raiding party.

My original notes were for a book that was definitely focused on fantasy (and to a large extend it still is). However, the more I read about outlaws and bandits into the Nineteenth and Twentieth centuries, the more I thought "You know, I could use this for some modern or sci-fi." So I did some more web-searching and added Bonnie and Clyde and the Vendean rebels as example of a more modern group of thieves. There are a lot more examples I could have used, particularly with the "Old West": the James Gang or Billy the Kid. I tried to limit myself to one example per country.

EDITI forgot the Link to Gostor: Bandits!!! *Dohp*

JP

2 comments:

  1. Glad to be of help. And thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in give credit where/when it is due.

    ReplyDelete