JP On Gaming

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Under the Influence Day 8: A Farewell to Kings by Rush

From the first melodic accords of this epic album, you are transported away from where you are and into Rush's fantasy land.

The sweet dancing notes on Alex Lifeson's guitar dance much like the sweet sound of water cascading in a brook. Then Geddy-through-Neal-Peart's-Lyric poses the question: When they turn the pages history, When these days have passed long ago, Will they read of us with sadness, For the seeds that we let grow. To my young history-loving mind those words echoed loudly. And I began to think not just in terms of today, but also in terms of "then-through-now". Things you do today affect tomorrow.

I'll mention the epic Xanadu and the space-traveling story of Cygnus X-1 as still on my regular playlist.

But mentioning this album without saying a word about Rush's anthem: Closer to the Heart which is also rooted in philosophy is one of the best loved song and a staple of any Rush show - and live album - since. One I find myself singing to any time it comes on.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment