JP On Gaming

Friday, October 11, 2013

Under The Influence Day 11: Star Wars

Is there any normal man who grew up in the 70s/80s who does not have a love affair with Star Wars?

Whatever you think Lucas did with the franchise with Episodes 1-3, doesn't matter. We got to see more Star Wars. And I enjoyed these movies. Again and again.

I spent my youth dreaming of flying my own starfighter in space, taking down evil-doers and attacking the Death Star. I mean, just like those ten years older than me had westerns, my eyes were turned to space. What better to give a little dreamer kid than a setting where he could live all kind of awesome stories?

Unfortunately, the world below still sucks as bad as we abandoned the stars. But that's a whole other rant.

Star Wars has always been - to me - a true fairy tale: a damsel in distress, a goodly rogue, a young hero on the verge of a quest, a dark and evil wizard. Really Star Wars takes the typical tale and sets it up in space. With awesome results.

To add to the awesomeness, I remember going to see "The Empire Strikes Back" at the theater with my sisters on the bus. And the most awesome part of it was that my little brother had to stay at home and he cried as we left.

Talk about a major win!

See Star Wars, go to the movie theater AND my brother crying because he couldn't tag along! To my child's mind, it was a perfect situation. It was awesome!

But don't worry, he has since seen the movie and I told him EVERYTHING about the movie later. I mean EVERYTHING.

Three years later, my sister took me to see Return of the Jedi for my birthday...

To this day, I try to get my kids to watch it with me. But they don't sit around long enough. But they will see it.

I trust in the Force.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment